The star standard of a hotel is not definitive but, it can be estimated.
- A 1-star hotel is usually a hotel with small rooms. Facilities are hotel amenities, moderate quality of furniture, some may have a bathroom or shared bathroom. Most of the food and drinks are charged.
- A 2-star hotel is usually a hotel with small rooms but larger than a 1-star. Facilities are hotel amenities, built-in furniture, private bathroom. Some may even have a restaurant within the hotel itself.
- A 3-star hotel is a hotel that is starting to have a bigger room. Facilities are hotel amenities, built-in furniture, private bathroom. However, there is still no porter service. Some began to have a common area, a restaurant, a fitness room, and a swimming pool.
- A 4-star hotel is a hotel with large rooms, tidy, and well decorated, with a beautiful reception and porter service. There are several room types for guests to select. Facilities are hotel amenities, fully built-in furniture, and complete sets of common areas, including a business center, meeting room, and security center.
- A 5-star hotel is a hotel with large rooms, tidy, luxurious and well decorated, with a beautiful reception and porter service. There are several room types for guests to select. Facilities are luxury hotel amenities, fully built-in furniture, jacuzzi bath, massage room, provide 24 hours of service, and complete sets of common areas, including a business center, meeting room, and security center with customer care at all times.
Hotel Standards and Types of Hotel Licenses in Thailand
- Hotel License Type 1: Suitable for 1-star hotels with less than 50 guest rooms that are around 8 square meters each. These hotels may have their focus on selling rooms that are not fancy, maybe with small furniture inside and not necessary to have an in-room shower or toilet. They may not have a restaurant, only serve food to hotel guests. For instance, small hostels that have their guests sharing rooms with each other may consider applying to this type of license.
- Hotel License Type 2: This type of License is for hotel and restaurant business with kitchen or dining space. Appropriate for 2-star hotels with rooms that are larger than 8 square meter. These hotels may have built-in furniture, space for guests to cook, or restaurants. Properties that hold this type of license could be budget-price bungalows or guest houses that provide a little more facilities than the first only hotel business license.
- Hotel License Type 3: The third type of license includes hotel rooms, restaurant, kitchen, dining space, and seminar rooms. This license type requires a guest room area which is not less than 14 square meters each, most appropriate for the 3-star hotels to apply for. Hotels that fall under this category mostly welcome long-stay guests that come for either holiday or business. They may be business, airport hotels, or even service apartments.
- Hotel License Type 4: The last type of hotel license is for those with at least 14 square meters area in each guest rooms, restaurant, seminar room, and entertainment business. This type of license is suitable for 4-star-and-above hotels. These properties need to have 24 hours service and security. Located in either heart of the city or the best location out of town. Mostly they are extended stay or resort, or luxury hotels that are high-priced and have world-class service.
Each type of hotel has its own rules and regulations. The measurements of standard levels and Hotel License application for each establishing type will be discussed more in the next episode. In case you are seeking help in hotel valuation, please do not hesitate to contact us.